New book of poems by Todd Davis

June 13, 2013
In the Kingdom of the Ditch

In the Kingdom of the Ditch, Todd Davis's fourth book of poems, has just been published by Michigan State University Press. Davis has also published a chapbook, Household of Water, Moon, and Snow: The Thoreau Poems, parts of which are included in this volume. In this review, Larry Smith calls these poems "lyric meditations on the way life and the world turns," comparing Davis to poets Mary Oliver and Wendell Berry.

Comments for New book of poems by Todd Davis

• Tangela

On July 13, 2013 Tangela wrote:

The performance “Thomas and Beulah” which I recently attended was an interesting event. First of all I had an opportunity to see the author of the book. Moreover I didn’t expect to experience poetry which was arranged as a theatrical play. Every poetry reading that I have ever attended looked the same, a person (reader) was seating or standing and read the poems, sometimes he/she put soul into it, sometimes did not but overall I wasn’t amazed. “Thomas and Beulah” was a presentation of a poetry that was visualized. The narrator – Lam – was present on the scene through the whole play, he spoke the poems from memory, he was running around and made the action of the plot dynamic. The other two actors who performed the roles of Thomas and Beulah portrayed the message, emotions and action of the poems.They both expressed a lot by their body language like for example love, passion or anger. They also sang, which made the play more like a musical but in a good sense. Especially I liked the Thomas part, even though he didn’t say a lot, he portrayed the character with his movements. I liked the fact that the real objects from the poems were present in the scene for example yellow scarf or the mandolin. Moreover the live music by Barry Mitterhoff, who played the mandolin during the performance, was fantastic. The background of the scene was decorated with the opened umbrellas, which were unique decorations. They were also used as screen for the projections of pictures that corresponded to the elements of the plot. For example when Beulah danced and the narrator told the part of ballet dancer, the black-and-white photography was shown on the umbrellas. After the show there was a discussion panel, where the director, choreograph, actors and the most important THE AUTHOR of the poems– Rita Dove, had a chance to share with the audience, their experience about the creation of the play. The author told a little bit what was her the inspiration to write the poems. The words of David Clarke who played Lam will stay in my mind “The dream of and actor is to live in a well written work” and “Thomas and Beulah”is definitely perfectly written.

<a href="http://www.onlinecollegeoffers.net/">Online Colleges degrees</a> <a href="http://www.comparequotesonline.net/">female insurance car</a>

Post a comment

Post a comment

Sorry, comments are closed for this news story. If you have something to share, feel free to get in touch.