David Foster Wallace Among the Mennonites

by Ervin Beck

Comments for David Foster Wallace Among the Mennonites

• Shirley Showalter

On November 16, 2012 Shirley Showalter wrote:

Fascinating story, Ervin. I was aware of only a fraction of the Poag family connections. As always, you set the record straight with diligent reporting and intricate detail. Loved thinking about DFW puzzling through the grammar of "Other foundation can no one lay. . ." all the way through a worship service.

Post a comment
  • Ervin Beck

On November 16, 2012 Ervin Beck wrote:

Many thanks for your appreciative comments, Dan and Shirley. My other reward for editing and writing in this issue is to have made new friends of the Poags (by long distance) and to renew friendships with two outstanding former students, Emma and Ellah.

Post a comment
  • Gordon Houser

On November 16, 2012 Gordon Houser wrote:

Sometime back in the late '90s, when I was editor of The Mennonite, Doug contacted me and told me about DFW. As an avid reader of fiction, I'd heard of him, but after that began reading his work, which I've enjoyed.

Post a comment
  • Ben Jacobs

On November 16, 2012 Ben Jacobs wrote:

Ervin, what an interesting article! I was not aware of this connection between DFW and the Mennonite Community. He's been in my stack of "books to read" for a while. I think I'll shuffle him to the top.

Post a comment

Post a comment

Sorry, comments are closed for this journal article. If you have something to share, feel free to get in touch.