My Mennonite Identity

by J. Daniel Hess

Comments for My Mennonite Identity

• Laura Weaver

On January 15, 2011 Laura Weaver wrote:

I enjoyed your article immensely, Dan. I identify with much of it: I grew up in Lancaster Conference, and I graduated from Eastern Mennonite (several years before you did). I'll read your article again, I know, and I'll remember that last paragraph!

Post a comment
  • Robin Gingerich

On January 16, 2011 Robin Gingerich wrote:

Thank you for this articulate article with so many vivid details of Mennonite life. I was honored to have you as my professor at Goshen College. Now I'm trying to be Mennonite, and learn what that means in Lithuania. It's a small world after all.

Post a comment
  • Dan Hess

On January 17, 2011 Dan Hess wrote:

Laura, I did not know you grew up in Lancaster Conference. Has your sojourn been similar to mine in any way? You live here in Indiana, right? Let's find each other.

Post a comment
  • Dan Hess

On January 17, 2011 Dan Hess wrote:

Thanks for writing, Robin. I suppose that your growing up in Iowa and then living for decades in Lithuania have shaped a journey quite different from mine. I'm pleased that you have been able to contribute so very well at Lithuania Christian College.

Post a comment
  • Laura Weaver

On January 18, 2011 Laura Weaver wrote:

Yes, Dan, I'm way down here in Evansville, and yes, it would be great to talk. There are many similarities in our sojourns, including going to grad school and getting a Ph.D. Some differences: my family started out in the Old Order Mennonite (horse and buggy) church, and since the 1960s I've lived outside a Mennonite community (because of graduate school and then my job). But I'm still a Mennonite; I joined and attended a Presbyterian Church for a while, but I never felt Presbyterian. That's why I like the marvelous images in your opening and ending paragraphs.

Post a comment

Post a comment

Sorry, comments are closed for this journal article. If you have something to share, feel free to get in touch.